In 1888, the building was purchased by Frank J. Gruclich who changed the name to The Annex. At this time, food was incorporated into the business. It provided dining and entertainment to guests of the adjacent Cushman Hotel. A garden patio was added to the east side of the building and referred to as the Palm Garden. On the interior, a 32 foot solid mahogany bar was installed. At the time, there were no windows, so gas lighting was used to brighten the dark interior.